Friday, January 22, 2010

burgers...

Life can get crazy sometimes. When it does, there's no time to cook. My thought tonight was to make a pork roast for dinner. Some wild rice and broccoli to go with.

But real life happens sometimes and you just don't have time. So, tonight I grabbed a burger from a fast food place. Not my favorite thing to do, but it does fill the void.

Let me tell you about MY burgers. The perfect burger in my opinion is done on the grill. Getting that char and smokey flavor on it. LOVE THAT! I gotta say, ground chuck is my favorite to use. But now, because it's healthier, we use ground turkey. What's cool is, it stays the same size as when you make the patties.

When I make MY burger. I pat out a good size chunk of ground turkey. Not too thick because I want it done in the middle. I use Dale's steak seasoning. Not much because a little of that stuff goes a long way. I think for one burger, you could use a couple of tablespoons and be just fine. I also like to give the burger a splash of onion powder, garlic powder and some pepper. YUM! No salt. The Dale's takes care of that.

Set that in the fridge for a bit, let that Dale's do it's business, and get your grill fired up.

I hate wasting a good fire. So I try to find anything and everything grill worthy. For now, let's do some yellow squash and green zucchini. I slice these long ways into 4 sections. Put them on a plate and sprinkle some olive oil on them. A lil' sea salt and some pepper. Mix it up a bit so that you get a lil' of that oil all over the veggies. Set these aside and check on the fire...

When the grill is ready, I put my turkey burger on there. Ahhhh hear that sizzle? I love that sound. Around the burger, I place my veggies. I say "place" because I want those char marks that you get when you grill something. So I "place" them in such a way as to get those marks across the veggies. It's gonna taste good for sure, but the marks will also make it LOOK good.

I use a Weber kettle grill. That thing is as old as dirt, but there's something about it. It works great! It's like your mother's old cast iron skillet. It's a part of the family.

With the lid on, you can hear the sizzle, see the smoke and enjoy that you're cooking outside. It's about this time, I step back and look around. That overly proud feeling. Similar to Tim Allen in that show Home Improvements. "AOWW, AOWWW, AOWWWW!"

I don't know, I'd say about 7 minutes into all that sizzle, I grab the lid and flip my burger over. Also turning the veggies. I like cheddar cheese on my burgers. Hang on, let me run in and cut a slice of Tillamook Sharp Cheddar! "One slice for the burger... Two slice for the burger... Three slice for ME NOW!"

I'd give it just a few more minutes. I've heard from many burger scholars, you don't want to smush the burger down. It's so tempting to do when you flip it. The spatula is there and it just happens. You smash it and all the juice comes out and into the fire. Don't smush! Let all those juices stay in the burger and keep it moist.

I give it another flip just to check it out all the way around. It's got good char, smells great, looks great too! I move it to the side so it won't burn anymore. But it's still getting some heat to it. Slap that cheese on there and the lid. Now by the time the cheese is melted, the veggies are going to be done too. Still crisp, but done.

I personally like those buns with the onion sprinkles on them. And since we're talking about MY dream burger.... that's what we're gonna use.

Any array of condiments. The usual, mayo, mustard, ketchup, relish... whatever you wanna use. A must for me is a nice slice of romaine lettuce and a slice of tomato.

Serve that up with some of your grilled zucchini and yellow squash?

Nice....

No comments:

Post a Comment