Monday, January 18, 2010

Breakfast as made by the regular guy...

Breakfast doesn't have to be pop tarts or cold cereal. It doesn't have to be donuts or toast on the run. Let's make up something great. Breakfast is a must! You eat breakfast to jump start your metabolism for the day. Get the engine going so to speak.

What do you have for breakfast? Eggs, toast, bacon, sausage, home fries, pancakes, waffles... So many different options. I've heard that breakfast should be your biggest meal of the day. You'll have time during the day to burn off the calories. But seriously, who's got time to make a full on "Cracker Barrel" type breakfast before the kids go to school or the wife goes to work?

Lets take a look at eggs. Scrambled eggs are great. Let's start there.

My wife likes fluffy eggs. My trick to fluffy scrambled eggs is, turning off the heat early.
Get your pan going on medium heat. I'll go out on a limb and say that, start everything on medium heat. Unless you're frying something, start it on medium bro.

Spray a lil' nonstick in your pan. If you don't have any, a little bit of butter works nicely too.

While that's warming up, crack a couple of eggs in a bowl and wisk them. Now hear me on this. I'm into cooking, I have a few cooking tools that help out. But, you can use a fork just as easy as a whisk. When your pan gets hot, the non stick spray is looking good or the butter is melted, pour your eggs in there.

I let it cook like that for a minute while the edges begin to get firm. Then I start to mix it up with my spatchula. The eggs are getting close but they're still runny right? Surely they have to cook more. That's when you turn the burner off. The pan is still hot, so the eggs are still cooking. Don't just let them sit. You'll need to keep mixing them, making sure every part gets cooked and is not raw. Because the pan is cooling down, they won't burn. As long as you keep stirring them, they become perfect. Light, fluffy and fully done!

Lets say you wanna make an omelette. I've not mastered this great breakfast treat. It's still a work in progress for me. Try this though.... First off, I DO have a pan that use only for omelettes. It's smoove! (smooth for you regular folks)

Follow the steps for scrambled eggs. BUT, I start my pan a little bit hotter. Let's say medium heat plus one. If 4 is medium heat, I'd go 5 when I'm making an omelette. "These amps go to eleven. One higher."

The egg part of this is the same as a scrambled egg. You're not going to stir the eggs in the pan though. After you pour the egg in, you let it firm in a big circle. Maybe even lifting the sides to get some of the raw egg in the middle out to the sides. Carefully move it around a bit so it doesn't stick to the pan. Flip that puppy over so it stays in the same shape. Immediately turn off the heat. The side that you just flipped too will cook in no time. Put in your filling on one half, fold it over and then I'd take the pan from the heat, put a lid on it and let it sit just for a minute. Serve it up and enjoy.

I've watched many people make an omelette. I think the best omelette I've ever had was made by a 15 year old kid at a mom and pop restaurant. Obviously this kid has been making them for most his life. HA!

He did the two pan approach. I like this one a lot. Especially if you're making an omelette with veggies in it. You'll want to cook them down a little bit at least. In one pan, he seared up some ham, onions, mushrooms and peppers. He cooked the eggs in another pan with butter. He flipped the egg, put in the filling with cheese, folded it, served it up and it was perfect!

Again, depending on what you put in your omelette, you can either try this two pan thing, or just put the filling in just before you flip it. Ingredients I might use for the one pan approach. Smoked salmon, cream cheese, shredded cheese, or anything that you don't need to cook before the eggs go in. Two pan approach might mean you're going to put in onions, bell peppers, mushrooms, bacon or ham, stuff like that.

Remember. Making an omelette is an art unto itself. Don't be discouraged when your first one turns out to be scrambled eggs with STUFF in them.

Enjoy!
ck

1 comment:

  1. I love breakfast! I learned a tip about scrambled eggs a long time ago, add a small amount of water to the eggs when you wisk them.

    As for the omelette, I have not mastered that either. I just stir all my fixin's in the scrambled eggs just as they begin to firm up. My favorite: spinach, mozzarella cheese and tomato, maybe a little bacon if I have any. I also love avocado, bacon and cheddar.

    ReplyDelete