Wednesday, February 24, 2010

busy busy busy

Here's how it went down. Being the responsible husband that I am, I woke up blazing this morning. I knew I was going to be busy AND not around during the dinner hour. So I thawed out a pork roast to cook slow all day. I seasoned it the night before and set it in the fridge. I had also made some ground turkey for Lisa's favorite lunch. It was thawed out and needed to be cooked. That worked out perfect.

So... wake up, get some coffee going, get some tea water going. (I'm trying to ween off of coffee and drink tea in the morning) I get some turkey bacon going for Lisa and the kids' breakfast. While that's going, I get out my pork roast to sear it. Smells good already!

As I get all the sides to my roast crispy, my bacon needs flipping. I add a can of chicken broth to the roasting pan. Toss in some slices of onion and some slices of granny smith apple. Just for some flavor I guess. That goes in the oven on 275. For several hours.

Bacon is about done, drop down some toast, mix up a few eggs to scramble for the family and we're off. Pour myself some tea, make some plates of turkey bacon, eggs and toast for the fam, roast in the oven, NOW.... make a quick batch of salsa for Lisa's lunch. One of her favorite things is this Plymouth salad. Ground turkey, spinach, romaine lettuce, black beans, corn... it's like a burrito but on bed of lettuce. I chop up a few tomatoes. Slice a bit of onion, and some cilantro. Avocados were on sale. So we have like 8 of them. So I put some of that in there too. YUM!

Lisa's lunch done. The kids make their own lunches. Yeah, I used to make theirs, but ya know? They're old enough now to take on that responsibility. So there!

Now it's about 7:15am

I know. All that before 8am. Crazy!

Here's the cool part of this story. My roast cooked a lot faster than I expected. I went to turn it over and it just fell apart. So tender. I grabbed a lil' bite and WOW was it salty. I called my friend Jeanne to get some cooking advice.

She told me to take the roast out of it's juices. Put the roast back in the oven with one peeled potato and half a cup of water. The potato sucks all the salt out. Well, a lot of the salt. Blew me away. IT WORKED! THANKS JEANNE!!!!
So I had at least two cups of broth from what the roast was cooking in. Of course VERY salty. I put that in a sauce pan and thought, "What do I wanna do with this? Asian vibe? Brown savory? Sweet? I thought a sweet asian vibe might work out best.

I dropped in some brown sugar, some spicy mustard, a lot of crushed red pepper and a lil' bit of corn starch and some water. OH and a few dashes of parsley for looks.
WOW! That sauce had such flavor. MY GOODNESS!

No comments:

Post a Comment